This year my kids were NINJAS!!!! And boy did they play it up.
My friend Desi has the best sugar cookie recipe. It’s my go to sugar cookie recipe. With the holidays and cookie exchanges just around the corner you will want this recipe in your arsenal.
This week I have to bring 30 pumpkin shaped sugar cookie to my daughter’s kindergarten class. This recipe was perfect for that task!
Start by creaming your butter and sugar.
Add in your eggs and vanilla,
and sour cream. Yes, sour cream. It keeps these cookies so moist and tender.
Whisk together your dry ingredients.
Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ones.
Mix until combined. One of the best things about this sugar cookie recipe is the dough doesn’t have to chill. You can use it right away.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. I like to do it in batches.
Roll out about 1/3 inch thick. These cookies are better if left on a little on thicker side. If you want thin crispy sugar cookies then by all means, roll it out thinner. I like soft sugar cookies.
Cut out whatever shapes you are using. Rerolling the scraps until you have used all your dough.
Bake at 375 for 7-10 minutes. Mine were done at about 7 and half minutes. The tops will not have any color, and the bottom will have just started to turn a light brown.
Cool completely and then decorate to your liking.
I like to keep these Wilton sparkle gels in my pantry. They last forever and are great for things like this.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer.
- Add in the vanilla and eggs. Beat well.
- Add sour cream. Beat again.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients.
- Flour your work surface well. Roll out dough to about ⅓ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutter.
- Place on un-greased cookie sheet and bake for 7-10 minutes. Start checking at the 7 minute mark. Cookies will still be white on top and a very light brown on the bottom.
- Cool well and frost with your favorite frosting!