So it was my turn to bring snack to preschool and to church this week. My kids are always starving when they return from both of these activities so I decided to send thing a little more substantial then fishy crackers. My kids, like I’m sure all kids, love banana. And chocolate. Probably chocolate over bananas. But hey, at least they eat the bananas.
Those freckled bananas are perfect for this. Mine could have even gone a few more days, but snack assignments were waiting! Another trick I do, is once the bananas are as freckled as you would like, I peel them and stick them in a freezer ziplock and plop them in the freezer. Then when you are ready to use them just defrost in the microwave. Plus, frozen bananas are great for smoothies.
This recipe calls for 3 mashed up very ripe bananas. I like to just mash them up on a place with a fork.
I also found these cute little muffin cup liners! My little four year old loved them and was over the moon he got to take them in his snack.
These banana muffins are also lowfat, only using a 1/4 a cup of butter in the whole recipe!
They were a hit!
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then add the applesauce and eggs.
- Stir in the bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Toss the chocolate chips with a little bit of flour and stir into the batter.
- Line a mini muffin pan with liners. Fill the muffin tins ⅔ full, about a tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
This recipe will make
~6 dozen mini muffins
~2 dozen regular sized muffins
~2 loafs of bread
The oven temperature will remain the same for all of the different sizes, just adjust the baking times. The regular muffins will take around 25 minutes and the loafs of bread take about an hour.