Are you in the camp that has to have black-eyed peas on New Years Day or your year will be ruined? Well this is the recipe for you.
This salad is so good and chock full of things that are good for you too. What better way to start the new year?
This recipe calls for corn on the cob and I’m going to share my ultra secret tip to cooking corn on the cob. I eat corn so much more now that I’ve figured this out!
Place your corn on the cob (husk and all!) in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then slice a piece off the bottom of the corn, and the whole cob will slide right out! All the silk stays with the husk! Then for this recipe slice off the kernels. So simple.
Happy New Year!
- 2 cups black-eyed peas, or 1 14.5 oz can
- 1 ear of corn, cooked and cut off the cob (or you could use about 1 cup of frozen corn, thawed)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped (red or white)
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Zest if 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together the black-eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Top with lime zest and juice, oil, and salt and pepper.
This recipe can be eaten cold or at room temperature.
You could also serve it as a salsa with tortilla chips. Yum.