Blueberries on pizza? I know, hear me out though.
You’ve have fruit and cheese? Compote on brie? Same concept.
This pizza is good, really good.
First things first.
You start by slicing up a bunch of shallots,
and cooking them low and slow until they caramelize. Then you add in a little bit of brown sugar and balsamic vinegar, because I’m crazy like that.
Make up some pizza dough, or use store bought. I love the Pioneer Women’s recipe for pizza dough. You can find it here. Now I’ve tried lots of pizza doughs and this one is by far the best, and it’s easy and you make it ahead of time! You can also use half all purpose flour and half whole wheat flour, which is what I typically do and you get the health benefits of the whole grains without sacrificing anything!
Then whip up some ricotta or goat cheese with some lemon zest and thyme.
Roll out your dough, spread the cheese all over, them sprinkle with the shallots, blueberries (Gourmet Trading of course!), and some pistachios. Then bake it off.
- 1 batch of prepared pizza dough
- 3 shallots, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz goat cheese or ricotta cheese
- zest of one lemon
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1-2 pints blueberries
- ⅔ cup pistachios
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- In a large skillet over low heat, add the extra virgin olive oil and the shallots. Cook stirring occasionally until deep golden brown. Stir in brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place the ricotta cheese or goat cheese in a food processor with the lemon zest and thyme. Mix until well blended. If using goat cheese, you might need to add some milk or cream to get a creamy consistency.
- Roll out half of the pizza dough. Place on a pizza stone or a cookie sheet. Top with half of the ricotta or goat cheese, half of the shallots, half of the blueberries, half of the pistachios, and half of the mozzarella and parmesan. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake the pizzas in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.