So, have you all seen the recipes floating around pinterest for crock pot mashed potatoes? And ever wondered if it really worked? Well, I’m here to tell you that it does and they are wonderful. Plus, add browned butter to anything and you’ve got instant greatness! The set it and forget method is great for Thanksgiving when you have a million other things going on in your oven and on your stove. These are not a pinterest fail.
I always peel my potatoes and then rinse them off.
Chop them up into one inch cubes.
Add to the potatoes, browned butter, and some chicken or vegetable broth to the crock pot. Set it and forget it. 4-5 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
The potatoes are so soft they almost just mash up by stirring them around. I added 4 oz of cream cheese and some salt and that was it! Another Thanksgiving side simplified!
- 5 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 can chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 oz cream cheese, cubed
- salt to taste
- Place your stick of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Let it melt, then it start to foam like crazy, and then it will take on a nutty aroma. Once the foam dies down the butter will be a darker color. Do not walk away from your butter while its browning. It will go from browned to burned in 2 seconds flat.
- Add the potatoes, stock, and browned butter to the crock pot. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- When the potatoes are tender add in the cream cheese and mash with a potato masher or beat with a hand mixer. Salt to taste.