Is your life as crazy as mine? I bet it is. Between being a single mom to three munchkins, trying to start a new business, baseball, softball, gymnastics, girl scouts, church, yada, yada, yada…..Sound familiar???
We are all super busy and that’s why we all love slow cooker recipes!
My three kids loved this, even my four year old who only eats maple cream of wheat, jelly sandwiches, and chocolate milk.
First things first! Haul out that slow cooker and plug it in!
Then peel the potatoes and chunk them up. Add in the broccoli, milk (I used unsweetened almond milk), veggie stock, some salt. Set it and forget it. Give it stir every once in a while if you are home, if you are not home don’t give it stir. Either way it will be fine.
When the vegetables are tender, place everything in the blender and give it whirl.
(Side note: If you use almond milk like I did the soup might look curdled, but just blend it up and it will turn out great! If you used regular milk, forget I said anything.)
Pour the soup back into the crock pot.
Chop up some broccoli pretty fine and add it to the soup.
Next up grated cheddar cheese!!! Yum.
Give the soup another 15 minutes or so to melt the cheese and soften the chopped broccoli a little bit.
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes
- ¾ pound broccoli
- 1 leek, sliced lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cans vegetable stock
- 2 cups of milk (almond, soy, cow)
- 8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- Peel and chop the potatoes, add to the slow cooker. Chop the broccoli and add to the slow cooker, reserving about ⅓ of it. Add the vegetable stock, milk, and some salt. Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or on high 4-6 hours.
- Once vegetables are tender, place everything in a blender and blend it up.
- Pour back into slow cooker. Chop remaining broccoli very small and add to the soup. Stir in the grated cheese. Let cook for 15 more minutes to melt the cheese and soften the chopped broccoli.
Calories per serving: 470 (but you could easily cut the cheese in half without sacrificing much flavor and save 115 calories per serving)