My good friend Mando showed me how to make mexican rice from scratch!
I will never go back to the packaged kind!
Start by chopping up an onion and grating some garlic,
add that to a pan with some extra virgin olive oil and sweat out the onions. About 5 minutes or so.
Then add your rice and stir it around so it gets coated in the oil and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
Add your tomato sauce and give it a stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
add your stock and salt, give it a good stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, covered.
- 1 tablespoon oil, (I like to use extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 cups rice
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 can of chicken stock
- Cook the onions and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, 1 teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cover. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Fluff with a fork.