I try to sneak veggies into food whenever possible! My family loves pasta, so I add chopped up veggies to sauce! They never even know they are there!
Start by chopping up some vegetables. I used a red and yellow bell pepper (any color will do), a zucchini, a red onion, 5 cloves of garlic.
Add some extra virgin olive oil to a pan. About 1 tablespoon. Add in the chopped onions and grate in the garlic. Add the rest of the vegetables and give it a stir.
Stir in the spaghetti sauce. I like to use this brand from Hunts. Its cheap and does the job. I also add in a can of diced tomatoes, juice and all.
Yum! Let this simmer for about 20 minutes. While the sauce is simmering cook off the pasta.
I use this whole grain kind from Barilla. Once the pasta is cooked, stir into the sauce.
Soooo good and lots of hidden vegetables!
I will let you in on little secret. I like to eat cottage cheese with any pasta dish with red sauce. It makes it almost taste like lasagna! Don’t knock it until you try it!
- 1 box of whole grain penne
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jar or can of pasta sauce
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- Add extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion, grate in the garlic, and then add the zucchini and bell peppers. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Dump in the pasta sauce and canned tomatoes. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, cook the pasta according to the directions.
- Add cooked pasta to the sauce and give it a stir. Salt and pepper to taste.