Ummm, yeah. This bread is decadent, delicious, and screams holiday. Since its a bread and not cake its perfectly acceptable for breakfast. Right? Right.
Its very simple and quick. And the chocolate peppermint combo? Can’t beat it.
You start by mixing up the dry indgredients: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Then mix up the wet ingredients: oil, buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and peppermint extract. Mix with the dry ingredients.
Toss some chocolate chips with a little bit of flour (so they won’t all sink to the bottom of the bread) and stir into the batter.
Then grease your loaf pan. Mine is 9×5. See how I wiped down the sides of pan? You only want to spray to be on the bottom and corners of the loaf pan. The bread needs something to cling to as it raises in the oven.
Pour your batter in the prepared baking dish and bake it off. You want to position your oven rack so the top of the bread pan is in the middle of the oven.
Cool slightly and then remove from the baking pan and cool on a rack. See the single split down the middle of the bread? Thats exactly what you want and what a quick bread should look like.
Melt some white chocolate chips in the microwave and drizzle over the bread. I have found that store brand white chocolate chips do not melt as smoothly has Nestle or other name brands. Top with crushed peppermint candies. Happy Holidays!!!
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1½ cup flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ⅓ cup white chocolate chips
- 8 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar, and peppermint extract. Mix together the dry and wet ingredients.
- Toss the chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of flour and fold into the batter.
- Spray the bottoms and corners only of a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly and then remove from pan and let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth. Drizzle over the bread and top with the crushed peppermint candies.