Sooo, in another life I was a special education teacher and boy did I love it. Then babies arrived and I decided to be a stay at home mommy for awhile. While I was a teacher one of the Adapted Physical Education teachers gave me this recipe for cranberry sauce (hi Karen!).
Cranberries and Red hots? Huh? But it totally works and its sooo good.
Combine the cranberries and red hots in a medium saucepan,
add some sugar and cook over medium heat until the cranberries start to burst. About 10 minutes.
It will be thick and jam like.
Add in a can of drained mandarin oranges. And thats it! Another Thanksgiving side simplified!
- 1 12 oz bag cranberry sauce
- 5 0.9 oz boxes of red hots or about half of a 9 oz bag
- ⅓-1/2 cup sugar
- 1 small can mandarin oranges, drained well
- Place the cranberries, red hots, and sugar in a medium sauce pan and heat over medium heat until the cranberries burst and the sauce is thick and jam like. Note on the sugar: I used ½ a cup of sugar and the cranberry sauce was very sweet. If you want it less sweet, lean more toward ⅓ of a cup of sugar.
- Add in the drained oranges.