My grandma Colleen, or Grandma Coco as the grandkids call her, is a pretty neat lady. Case in point: she recently started doing Crossfit at the young age of 78.
Proof. Grandma Coco on the rowing machine.
Her and my grandpa have always had a huge and amazing garden. This is one of the ways she uses up summer squash. I used zucchini but any summer squash will do.
Start with 3 medium zucchini, a yellow onion, and 2-4 cloves of garlic. I used 4 because I love garlic.
Chop up the onion and zucchini.
Heat a medium sized skillet to high heat. Add some extra virgin olive oil to the pan and grate in some garlic.
Throw the veggies in there and stir it around and then let them sit.
See how I got the zucchini browned a little bit? That’s where all the flavor is. I got that by leaving it alone. I also waited to add salt until the zucchini was browned. Once the zucchini has the color you want, then add the salt.
Once the zucchini is cooked, cover the whole dish with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Soooo good.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into half moons
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2-4 cloves of garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
- shredded cheddar cheese, or any cheese of your liking
- Preheat a medium skillet to high heat. Add extra virgin olive oil.
- Grate in garlic, and then quickly add the onion and zucchini. You don't want the garlic to burn.
- Stir around to coat everything in oil. Then leave it alone. Don't salt it yet.
- After about 3-5 minutes check to see if the zucchini had started to brown, if it has then stir around, add salt and continue cooking until the veggies are soft.
- Cover in cheese and let the cheese melt.