Spicy Potato Salad
- 3-4 pounds peeled potatoes cut into bite sized pieces
- ½-3/4 cup mayo
- 2-3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2-3 tablespoons Franks hot sauce
- ½ of a medium yellow onion, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes. When then are cooked drain well and cool.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a serving bowl mix together the grated onion, mayo, mustard, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Fold in the potatoes.
- Top with sliced green onions.
So I know it’s November and not really potato salad season, but this recipe is too good to not share. Plus, it’s Veteran’s day today. People still barbecue for that right? I still have lots of sunshine where I live, but you could always just dust the snow off of the grill
So back to the potato salad. I have members of my family that don’t like eggs (I know shocker right?), and this potato salad is perfect for them since there are no eggs in it.
Start with about 3-4 pounds of potatoes. I used russets because that is what I had on hand but really any potato will do.
Peel them up. A tip for peeling: I place a couple of paper towels on my cutting board and peel the potatoes onto that and then you could just throw the whole thing away paper towels and peels and all. Then you aren’t killing your back bending over the trash can.
Then cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces cover with cool water and bring to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender. The time will depend on how big you cut your potatoes, but it should take 12-15 minutes. When they are cooked drain them off and then spread them on a cookie sheet to quick cool them. You could even place the cookie sheet in the freezer or fridge.
While the potatoes are cooking, make your sauce. Start by grating an onion. The onion juice is what transforms this potato salad.
Add the mayo (full fat please, there is a time and place for light mayo but this is not it), yellow mustard, Franks hot sauce, salt and pepper to your grated onion. Mix together and then add in your cooled potatoes.
Top with sliced green onions. So yummy!