So, this year I got one watermelon from my garden. One. Not sure if the cost of water and the starter, not to mention all of the tender loving care, was worth it.
So what did I do with said watermelon? Made this salad.
It’s more of a method than a recipe really.
But, boy is it delicious.
- 2-3 cups cubed watermelon
- 4-5 cups arugula
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup balsamic vingar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place vinegar in a small saucepan, and reduce to about 3 tablespoons.
- Arrange the arugula, watermelon, and feta on a serving dish. Drizzle with reduced vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Welcome to healthy recipe Monday brought to you by Fitness For Mommies.
These recipe really hit the spot! It is so good and good for you too!
Farro is really a great grain to know what to do with. In 1 cup of the stuff there is 8 grams of fiber. Plus, it is a complex carb that breaks down slowly in your body keeping your energy levels stable.
Bulgur is also a great whole grain to try if you haven’t already. It is richer in nutrients and vitamins than refined, processed wheat, which has been stripped of many beneficial ingredients.
Bulgur and Farro together is a win win!
Plus if you get this 10 minute Farro and Bulgur from Trader Joe’s it is a fifteen minute meal! It comes together so quickly and everyone will love it.
The nuttiness of the farro and bulgur compliment each other very well. Now I used a half of a bag (4 oz) of each grain, but feel free to use a whole bag of each one instead of both of them together.
The shrimp is a sauteed quickly and then the arugula is added with the farro and bulgur and then dressed simply with a lemon vinaigrette. It really doesn’t get much better than this!
Shrimp with Farro and Bulgur
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz farro, cooked according to package directions
- 4 oz bulgur, cooked according to package directions
- 1 lb shrimp
- 7 oz arugula
- Whisk together the extra virgin olive oil. lemon juice and zest, garlic, salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.
- In a large saute pan (that has a lid) add ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and heat over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes or until just starting to turn pink. Add in arugula and place the lid on the pan for about 30 seconds. Once the arugula has wilted down, add in the farro and bulgur.
- Turn off heat and add dressing. Stir well to coat everything in the dressing.