So summer is in full swing at my house! If you’ve been reading my blog for a while you know that I used to teach special education, so this whole working thru the summer thing is new to me! I keep feeling like I’m on summer break and not keeping up with my blog!
Any ways, enjoy this healthfied version of cream of wheat!
I find myself making cream of wheat quite regularly for my children, and then I eat way too much of it!
So I figured out a why to make it much lower in calories yet still decadent and delicious! Don’t forget the vanilla extract! It’s key!
Low Calorie Cream of Wheat
- 4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup coarse ground wheat
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- stevia to sweeten
- fresh berries of your choice to top
- Bring the almond milk to just a simmer over medium high heat, and then slowly whisk in the ground wheat. Stir constantly until thickened, about 5 mins. Remove from heat and add vanilla and stevia. Pour into bowls and top with berries.
Welcome to healthy recipe Monday brought to you by Fitness For Mommies.
So recently I lost about 30 pounds.
Everyday I have to make smart food choices and work really hard to keep it off.
One of the ways I do that is with this little snack.
Start with half a cup of fat free greek yogurt. Be sure to use greek yogurt, since it has the protein to help keep you fuller longer, and stretch you to your next meal. I like Fage, obviously since that huge container in the picture is empty. No really it is. I had to pull it out of the trash to take a picture.
Then, these are my secret ingredient. Sugar free flavored syrups. I think I have about 10 different flavors, but the ones I like with this are the raspberry, vanilla, and brown sugar cinnamon.
Stir about 2 tablespoons of the syrup into the yogurt (in the one pictured I used raspberry, that’s why it is pink!), then top with 1/4 cup each of blueberries and blackberries.
This totally cures a sweet tooth while giving you some protein, and really fills you up.
100 Calorie Yogurt Snack
- ½ cup fat free greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar free flavored syrup
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup blackberries
- Stir together the yogurt and the syrup. Top with the berries.