With berry season in full swing, what better way to use up all those blackberries you just bought then to turn them into blackberry pie bars?
I couldn’t decide if I wanted to make pie, blackberry cobbler, or some sort of dessert bar.
These bars are a combination of all three.
And boy did they hit the spot!
You have got to try these!
- Crust and topping
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups chilled butter, cut into cubes
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 6 cups fresh blackberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all the ingredients for the crust and topping. Mix until the mixture looks crumbly. Save back 1½ cups of the mixture and pressing the rest into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake for 12-15 mins and then let cool for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and then add the rest of the ingredients for the filling except the blackberries. Fold in the blackberries last. Pour filling over the cooled crust being careful to have an even layer of blackberries. Sprinkle reserved crust/topping mixture over the top. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool for at least one hour before serving.
- Eat! (preferably with ice cream!)
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker.