It’s no secret around here that I love lemon. So when I came across this recipe for lemon sheet cake I was intrigued and excited!
This recipe is very simple, in fact I already had the ingredients on hand. As I’m sure you do too!
If you are looking for a fresh and easy dessert to take to any cookout this summer, this lemon buttermilk sheet cake should definitely be on your short list!
- For the cake:
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¾ cup white sugar
- 1½ sticks softened butter
- 3 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk
- For the glaze:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Preheat the oven the 325 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. In another bowl mix together buttermilk, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- In a stand mixer mix together the sugar and lemon zest until fragrant. Remove ¼ cup of lemon sugar and set aside.
- Add the butter to the stand mixer and beat until very light and fluffy. About 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and egg yolk, one at time, incorporating well after each addition. Then add in half the flour mixture, followed by the buttermilk mixture, then the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until it is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, mix together the glaze ingredients and pour over the cake. Sprinkle with the reserved lemon sugar. Let cool completely.
Recipe from Our Best Bites.