Do you think I trifles much? I’ll have to say I come by it naturally though. My grandpa Theron (grandma Betty’s husband) loved layered desserts. He especially loved this dessert, but with bananas.
Strawberries are in season though, and during strawberry season it’s the law to use strawberries in anything possible.
The pudding layer for this trifle is a little different than other trifles I made in the past, and it is what really takes this trifle over the top.
Also, using vanilla wafers instead of angel food cake or pound cake it also an awesome idea. You can use a giant trifle dish like I did or make individual sized ones in wine glasses or martini glasses. (I left out the vanilla wafers in my individual sized one. I made it for my Grandma Coco, who needs to eat gluten free.)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1½ cups cold water
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 large container of cool whip
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- In a medium bowl combine the water and sweetened condensed milk. Stir in pudding mix until well mixed. Chill for 10-15 minutes or until almost set. While the pudding mixture is chilling, beat the heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fold pudding mixture into whipped cream.
- Line the bottom of a trifle dish with vanilla wafers, top with half of the pudding mixture, 1 cup of sliced strawberries, and about half of the cool whip. Repeat.
- Garnish with the remaining sliced strawberries.