Another tomato recipe coming at ya!
This one is a little different!
It’s no secret that I love the Smitten Kitchen, and when I got Deb’s cookbook for my birthday (Thanks Mardi!) I know I had to make this recipe, which also happens to be the cover photo!
This is such a great and versatile dish then can be used as an appetizer or side dish.
- For the shortcakes:
- 2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup milk
- For the tomato salad and cheese topping:
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray.
- For the savory shortcakes: Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the butter and mix until it resembles course meal. Stir in the green onion. Add in the milk and stir until just combined.
- Sprinkle the counter with some extra flour and dump out the dough. Pat into a 1 inch thick round. Cut out 6-8 biscuits using a 3 inch cookie cutter. Place on prepared cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- For the tomato salad and topping: Toss the quartered tomatoes together with the salt, pepper, vinegar, and oil. Set aside.
- Place the heavy cream in a bowl and whisk until peaks form. Fold in the goat cheese and beat until the topping is fluffy.
- Assembling: Place a split biscuit on a plate, top the bottom of the biscuit with some tomato salad, a little goat cheese topping, and some sliced green onions. Top with remaining half of the biscuit.