Now I know that everyone has a recipe for banana bread, but this one is a little healthier and uses your freshly ground wheat!
I used all brown sugar in this bread too because, well, I love brown sugar. I feel like it adds a richness to baked good you just can’t get from white sugar.
You will love this recipe. My kiddos get so excited when I make banana bread it never lasts long in my house!
Plus, it seems I always buy too many bananas so this is a great use up for those brown speckled ones and frozen bananas also work great in this recipe.
- 1¼ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Move oven racks so tops of loaf pans are in the middle of the oven. Spray 2 loaf pans with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in bananas, buttermilk., eggs, and vanilla. Stir in soda and salt, and then mix in the flours. Divide evenly between the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in pans for 10 mins and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Recipe adapted from here.