Christmas is right around the corner and you need a quick treat to either take to a party or eat yourself and you don’t want to bake. Well, these are perfect for you. You can make all three or just one, but boy are they simple and delicious.
I don’t know why I don’t make more chocolate barks, they are so easy.
The three I made are butterscotch with pretzels and peanuts, semi sweet chocolate with cashews and cranberries, and a white chocolate peppermint bark. You can’t go wrong with any one of them. Or all three.
The method is the same for all of them. Melt whatever chocolate you are using and pour it over a foil lined cookie sheet. Spread the melted chocolate around but not too thin. Then when the chocolate is still wet sprinkle on your toppings. I would also recommend it you are using chocolate chips like I did, to use the name brand ones. For some reason the store brand white chocolate chips and butterscotch chips never seem to melt right.
Then chill them. We had a very cold couple a days in Southern California last week so I just set my chocolate barks outside to cool, but you can always place them in the fridge as well.
This semi sweet chocolate one with cashews and cranberries is so good. The cashews lend just enough of a crunch and the sweet and tartness of the cranberries make for a perfect pairing with the semi sweet chocolate.
I’d have to say that I think this butterscotch one is my favorite. Crushed up pretzels and peanuts mixed into melted butterscotch? This one has the sweet and salty thing covered.
And finally, peppermint bark. Who doesn’t love the chocolate peppermint combination? I know I do (in fact I have another chocolate peppermint concoction for you all tomorrow!) A layer of semi sweet chocolate topped with a layer of white chocolate and then crushed candy canes sprinkled all over the top? What’s not to love?
A perfectly easy treat.
- 2 11 oz bags of butterscotch chips
- 1 cup of pretzels, chopped
- ⅔ cup of lightly salted peanuts, chopped
- 2 12 oz bags or 4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½-3/4 cup of cashews, chopped
- ½-3/4 cup of dried cranberries
- 1 12 oz bag or 2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1 12 oz bag or 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 candy canes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- For the butterscotch bark: Melt the butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl on high in 30 second intervals until nice and smooth. Stir in the chopped pretzels and chopped peanuts. Pour onto a foil lined baking sheet and spread around until about ⅓ inch thick. Cool until hardened and then break into pieces.
- For the chocolate bark: Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on in 30 second intervals until nice and smooth. Pour onto a foil lined baking sheet and spread around until about ⅓ inch thick. Sprinkle with the chopped cashews and dried cranberries. Put as much toppings on as you would like. Press lightly over all of the topping to make sure the piece of stuck to the chocolate. Cool until hardened and then break into pieces.
- For the peppermint bark: Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on in 30 second intervals until nice and smooth. Stir in ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract. Pour onto a foil lined baking sheet and spread around until about ¼ inch thick. Cool until hardened. Melt the white chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl on in 30 second intervals until nice and smooth. Stir in ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract. It will look like its going to seize on you, but just keep stirring and it will smooth back out. Pour over the chocolate layer and spread around. Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the white chocolate pressing down lightly with your hand to make sure they stick. Cool until hardened and then break into pieces.